Monday, September 10, 2007

This is what I learned today.

“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as in fact you are doing.” I Thessalonians 5:11 NIV


We are shaped by words from those who love us or refuse to love us. And, we are shaped by the words of those who don’t even know our names. It is the heart cry of all mankind to be loved and accepted, and sometimes a simple word of encouragement can make all the difference.



William Barclay one said, “One of the highest of human duties is the duty of encouragement. It is easy to laugh at men’s ideals; it is easy to pour cold water on their enthusiasm; it is easy to discourage others. The world is full of discouragers. We have a Christian duty to encourage one another. Many a time a word of praise, of thanks, of appreciation or cheer has kept a man on his feet. Blessed is the man (or woman) who speaks such a word.”



What exactly is encouragement? Webster defines it “to give courage or confidence to; to raise the hopes of; to help on by sympathetic advise and interest, to advise and make it easy for (someone to do something) to promote or stimulate; to strengthen”. In contrast, he defines discourage as “to say or take away the courage of, to deter, to lessen enthusiasm for and so restrict or hinder.”



Amazingly, our words have the capacity for both, and we are faced with the choice every time we speak as to which it will be. The Hebrew word mouth (peh) is often translated edge. Like a knife, the tongue has a sharp powerful edge that can either be used to heal or destroy. The knife in the hands of a skilled surgeon brings healing and life, but a knife in the hands of a felon brings death and destruction. Like the surgeon, we can study how to use our mouths to bring life to those around us. But it’s not easy, and the tongue is difficult to control.



Our words should build up and not tear down. They should minister grace or as one little girl explained to Florence Littaeur during a children’s sermon, “Be like silver boxes with bows on top” - like verbal presents. They are God’s gift to us and we in turn give them as gifts to those around us. But words are not ordinary presents. They are displayed on a prominent shelf in the heart as a treasured possession.



Dear Father, I pray that You will help my words to be verbal presents to all those I encounter today. May they be seasoned with salt, sweetened with honey, and nourishing to the soul. In Jesus’ Name, Amen





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Am looking forward to going to India.

Am looking forward to what God has prepared for me there.

Am looking forward to a different lifestyle from which I am used to.

Am not at all looking forward to eating curry and nothing but curry.

Am not at all looking forward to leaving my family and friends behind. (But hey, I get to make new friends, haha)


I thank God for the opportunity He has given me, which is to go to India to study the course I've wanted since Lower Six. I have no regrets leaving UM. I have had many memories there, both good and bad. I guess God let me try out and get used to university life before He sends me to India. Probably I wasn't ready earlier so He told me, "No, you're not going to India just yet. You aren't ready."

Well, I wasn't happy. Even my schoolteacher called up and told me not to do anything stupid. Which was well, I think, a bit funny. Well, I got into UM, and being the ungrateful wretch I can be, I wasn't happy. I still wanted to go to India. I thought I'd hate it in UM. It was the exact opposite. I loved it there, maybe not the Haluansiswa, though it was ok. I had some doubts as to whether I should have stayed in UM or to quit. My poor friends, the days they had to hear me talk to myself and to them, repeating the same question, "Should I go? Should I stay? What would you do?".

Anyway here are some things I've learnt in UM.

1. I learnt not to be so negative about things.

2. I learnt to be more humble.

3. I've finally found my true self in UM. I learnt what I really am like. Both good
and bad.

4. Respect your seniors. Lol. *duh*

5. I learnt to sleep late and wake up early. Eg. Sleeping at 5am and waking up at 8am
for class.

6. I got used to the lecture style in university.

7. Got used to the assignments. Wasn't used to it at first.


These are just some of what I've learned. Still learning to put my thoughts into words. Haha.

To my friends in UM, all the best, never give up, never say die, strive for the best, trust in God to guide you and lead you through university life, do your QT, watch out for each other and enjoy university life!

XXX
Caroline.

No comments:

MY PERSONAL DNA